This property forms part of an original grand house of 1832 which, by the end of the nineteenth century, included a ballroom, stables and billiards room. These were subdivided during the first half of the Twentieth century and now form separate dwellings.
The property suffered a fire in the 1930s which devastated the top floors of the property, the damaged floors were removed and all traces of the original lost. Later, the house passed into the ownership of the great engineer Ove Arup.
Our exhaustive archive research showed evidence of the original form of these floors from the pre-fire time. Armed with this evidence and a sensitive scheme, the Local Planning authority accepted the principle of reinstatement and extension of the Grade II listed property. The Local Authority described the completed scheme as being undertaken "in a scholarly and convincing manner" to provide an additional bedroom, bathroom and playroom accommodation.
The lower floors were lightly refurbished retaining original character and patina in areas such as the stair hall and drawing room. The upper floors were added to maintain the period character throughout the extended building. The staircase was extended with polished timber handrail and cast iron balusters to match the existing look, causing the additional upper floors and the expanded volume of the hall to heighten to the sense of occasion at the heart of this beautiful home.
Charlton Brown undertook architecture and interiors.